After sewing some baby items for the last two weeks, I turned my focus to a vintage sewing pattern which I bought from EBay recently. The pattern is a Vogue 8942 dated 1956 so it’s exactly 56 years old. The pattern includes two options: one with 3/4 length sleeves, patch pockets with a “fly-over” button detail; one with short sleeves and top stitching on the bodice.
As this is my first autumn project, I chose the 3/4 sleeves version. Firstly, I want to talk about the instructions that came with the pattern. Unlike other vintage patterns which I have from Simplicity, Butterick or Mccalls, the Vogue instructions included two sheets. The first sheet has general information such as straightening the grain, cutting out, basic fitting as well as making a bound buttonhole!
The second sheet is project specific information and I love the heading: Pin – Baste – (then Fit) – Stitch – Finish – Press. The message is so clear and so to the point!
The pattern is both printed and perforated which is meant to be really innovative at the time. As the pattern pieces are quite fragile, I used a tracing paper and made a copy.
While tracing, I found that the stitch lines aren’t always straight when the lines dash across the perforations. There are a few instances where a stitch line is slightly longer than the adjoining one so a bit of pattern tidying work was required.
My pear shape figure warrants pattern alternation to the skirt as well. I added 9cm to the hip circumference which is added to the skirt front and back equally. The skirt length was reduced by almost 20cm as well so it’s just below knees.
I made a mockup to test my pattern alteration works. The bodice and skirt fits nicely but I couldn’t get the sleeves to ease in properly. I think I’ll redraw the sleeve cap for the actual garment. The patch pockets also seem a bit high so I might drop it a little.
I haven’t decided on the fashion fabric yet but hopefully I can use some of my stash in the overflowing cupboard. Lastly, I’m happy to report that I finished the second baby sleeping bag using the stripy freeze fabric which I cut out last week.
Happy Autumn Sewing!